Work in Progress
You might remember this stitched panel. I've started the painting on it today using acrylics. I've thrown out a variety of different ideas before settling on the checkerboard. This is the first layer. Hopefully, although the pattern is strong, it doesn't overwhelm the seed heads which should still be the main event.
I've added other paint layers to soften the tones of the checkerboard and add more colour.
The way the paint sits differently on the smooth board and stitches textile is always interesting. It's pointless trying to lose the edge of the stitched bit because there is such a shift in surface and of course the textile is thicker and raised. Hopefully just painting across the two is enough to marry them together.
There's more to do on this one, but I need to let this stage dry first.
Meanwhile, I've looked back at this panel which you might remember is one of the offcuts from the 'Laura and Amelie' portrait panel. This is the easiest of the offcuts to work with because the composition was quite interesting. It is a long thing and a thank you!
I lost the light for these photos, but it's still a useful record of the stages. I've decided to lose the white behind the flowers and stems and paint it a soft green-blue. Part way through I decided I liked some of the white so I suspect those might stay.
I think this pod is nearly there, but the flowers need lots of work. I'm less familiar with them as a subject so they take more thinking about!
This panel has a section of quilt attached to it too and it's very textural with machine and hand stitch.
I think painting on these panels with bits of quilt attached is providing an interesting resolution between my quilt making and the painting I want to do. Bizarre really as I usually only enjoy painting onto a smooth surface, but the stitched areas are adding something.
Bye for now,