Work in Progress

You might remember this stitched panel. I've started the painting on it today using acrylics. I've thrown out a variety of different ideas before settling on the checkerboard. This is the first layer. Hopefully, although the pattern is strong, it doesn't overwhelm the seed heads which should still be the main event.


I've added other paint layers to soften the tones of the checkerboard and add more colour.


The way the paint sits differently on the smooth board and stitches textile is always interesting. It's pointless trying to lose the edge of the stitched bit because there is such a shift in surface and of course the textile is thicker and raised. Hopefully just painting across the two is enough to marry them together.


There's more to do on this one, but I need to let this stage dry first.


Meanwhile, I've looked back at this panel which you might remember is one of the offcuts from the 'Laura and Amelie' portrait panel. This is the easiest of the offcuts to work with because the composition was quite interesting. It is a long thing and a thank you!


I lost the light for these photos, but it's still a useful record of the stages. I've decided to lose the white behind the flowers and stems and paint it a soft green-blue. Part way through I decided I liked some of the white so I suspect those might stay. 


I think this pod is nearly there, but the flowers need lots of work. I'm less familiar with them as a subject so they take more thinking about!


This panel has a section of quilt attached to it too and it's very textural with machine and hand stitch. 


I think painting on these panels with bits of quilt attached is providing an interesting resolution between my quilt making and the painting I want to do. Bizarre really as I usually only enjoy painting onto a smooth surface, but the stitched areas are adding something.


So there we go, a bit of progress and some very enjoyable hours in the studio. Hope you're enjoying your weekend too.

Bye for now,
Laura
x

Comments

  1. I really love both of these. The checkerboard really adds interest and focuses my eye on the pods. The tall poppies are gorgeous. I like the white with the blue behind them, almost like rays of light. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you are feeling better. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely and so textural. Hope the work is helping to make you feel better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki, I'm feeling much better lately, I just wish I could paint every day!

      Delete
  3. Wouw Laura you did it again. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duffy! Thank so much for your kind words. I hope you are busy in your studio now?

      Delete
  4. Love with the work. The texture and the colors. I think the checkerboard works very well. With the stitching - Is the whole thing fabric and then you mount it on the board? Once on the board you paint it? Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, Thanks for your kind comments about the work. Yes, it's stitched then attached to the board before painting. In the previous post you can see how it looked before I started painting.

      Delete

Post a Comment