Learning to knit socks

I can never sit for long without doing something and so my challenge to myself this Christmas was to learn to knit socks. I've knitted garments before but never a sock and what a perfect project to have for these winter nights. I love that you can cast on and knit a whole sock without any starts and stops and seams.


My sock (yes, at the moment there is only one) is knitted with a toe-up method. I used this tutorial which I found very easy to follow. The videos are clear and she demonstrates the method for both dpns and circulars. I had the right size (2.25mm) dpns in my knitting tin so that's what I went with.


It's tricky to photograph your own foot but here it is on and it's a good fit. I maybe made the length of the foot a tiny bit too long, but perhaps it'll shrink up slightly when I wash it anyway.


You start with a magic cast on for the toe and increase from there. 



The heel is done with a short row technique that is pretty neat.


And then you finish off with a bit of ribbing to make a cuff before a nice stretchy cast off.


I used a ball of Trekking XXL by Zitron. The colours is 611. It's a 100g ball and I could have afforded to make the sock a bit longer as I'm not yet half way through the ball. Good to know for the next pair.

I just have to cast on the second sock and try to make them similar!
Bye for now,
Laura
xx



Comments

  1. I love the color of the yarn and your toe/heel joins are fantastic. I've knitted a lot of things, but never a sock. Congrats on picking up a challenge and running with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment