The simple things

Judging by the naff displays in all the card shop windows this morning, Mother's Day must be soon. I'd much rather receive what I was given today wouldn't you?


It is at least an improvement on the muddy clump of moss I was presented with yesterday and the worm the previous day. As you can tell by the state of our windowsill, the new house is something of a renovation project. It's the third one we've done in a row and in many ways, much more straightforward than some, but made massively daunting by the thought that this is 'the one', the house we might stay in for a while at least. Now the decisions are more important to be right and there's little time for research, browsing showrooms and reading brochures. I've made snap decisions on bathroom fittings and just hope that they'll be gorgeous once fitted rather than an expensive mistake! While progress on my work is slow I can at least report that renovations are moving along. The upstairs is re-wired and we have nice new ceiling lighting and provision for some wall lights that I plan to make. (Grand ideas but nothing done about it yet!). And the loft is now knee-deep in lovely cosy sheep wool insulation. That should put pay to any cold weather for the foreseeable, that and the snow boots I've bought for Amelie.



Thanks for dropping by, more work next time I promise!
Laura
x

Comments

  1. I love the fact that you used sheeps wool insulation! ( My worlds collide - cryptic way of saying that the day job is in energy efficiency )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve! After a bit of reading around the subject it seemed to be the best solution for our timber frame and I'm so pleased that it's made in the UK and all sustainable.

      Delete
  2. Should be lovely and toasty! Amelie is growing up so fast! She's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelia is a girl after my own heart and so beautiful. I don't think, from the time I was her age, that I have come inside from a walk without something in my pocket or hands. I am intriqued by the sheep's wool insulation. I had never heard of it, but it makes so much sense. How are critters and insects kept from eating it? I just love the idea of being able to go into the attic and lay down in the wool instead of the itchy fiberglass stuff they sell here in the US. Have a wonderful week enjoying whatever treasures are brought in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, I think they treat it to make it less tasty to moths etc. They reckon that it should last the lifetime of the building and not compress over time like the fibreglass stuff and was certainly more user friendly to install. It also breathes and doesn't hold moisture so much more friendly to our timberframe. We've noticed a difference to the temperature of the house already. Just the walls to do next!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! Goodness, Amelie is a gorgeous doll baby!!!! She is your BEST creation!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment