Good Habits

My name's Laura and I have a problem…OK, no need for rehab, but a serious need to use up some of these sketchbooks!



Is it just me, or do you have a shelf full of empty sketchbooks too? This is just a few of the 'small' size, I also have a shelf of large books and can't help but buy more. I am an art shop's dream.

During one of my late night wanderings around the internet I came across a blog, or an article, I can't remember which, where someone said that you weren't a proper artist unless you drew. Controversial! I'm sure you can think of plenty of artists who don't draw, but it's an interesting argument. She went on to reason that if you didn't draw then you weren't properly seeing, evaluating, designing. While I don't think drawing is the only way, I do think that it's the best way to record, learn, observe and develop. Oh, and let's not forget the sheer enjoyment of drawing too.

If I had a pound for every student who told me they couldn't draw I wouldn't be writing this post now, I'd be on a beach somewhere! Of course it's just not true, everyone who has an ability to write can also draw. It's all down to confidence and practise, but also expectation too. Drawing in sketchbooks isn't always about making a masterpiece, more often it's a means to an end; a record of something that's more effective than a pageful of notes, more characterful, personal and evocative.

So, I'm going to practise what I preach. I'm going to challenge myself to draw everyday, sometimes for just a minute or two, sometimes for longer, either way, I'm going to try to make a dent in that pile of sketchbooks. Will you join me? I'd love to know that while I'm trying to find five minutes to sketch, doodle or draw something, someone else was trying the same.

Seems sensible to start a new project at the start of a month. Let's meet back here tomorrow, 1st September and I'll show you what I've done. Now, I'm off to go and at least narrow down which sketchbook I'm going to start with…

This is going to be fun!
Laura
x


Comments

  1. Sounds like a good idea!
    I've also private messaged you on FB ( As Barb Gamble)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! A challenge!! I am always game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great challenge! I too have a number of "must have" unused sketchbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have so many empty sketchbooks, but as someone who "can't draw" I'd love to start drawing just for myself -for the practice. I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super challenge!! I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh yes! Count me in. I need a bit of discipline and a challenge is just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this challenge!!! I also have a shelf full of empty sketchbooks and this is just what I need to get going again. Plus I am going to France for 3 weeks! That'll be good motivation to get out and sketch everyday and not just take pictures. We should have some facebook site to check on progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I'm not the only one to have masses of empty sketchbooks. I'm certainly up for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that looks just like my pile! I think l will join you in this challenge if you don't mind ... maybe that way we will draw each day!!!!!! See you tomorrow! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in! A friendly little nudge to keep me committed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh that's a lovely sketchbook collection! I am very strict with myself now and don't let myself buy many as I have a habit of tearing out pages to 'edit' as I go along which spoils them a bit! I definitely need to draw more so I will attempt the challenge too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment